Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Shins Splints

[Sol.jpg]

What do you got there?

[Buck.jpg]

Pardon?

[Sol.jpg]

I say, what do you got there? On your iPod? What are you listening to?

[Buck.jpg]

Oh. The Shins.

[Sol.jpg]

Hey, right on. Are they changing your life?

[Buck.jpg]

What?

[Sol.jpg]

You know—Garden State? Natalie Portman? "It'll change your life."

[Buck.jpg]

Oh, right. Yeah, they’re changing my life.

[Sol.jpg]

Which album are you listening to?

[Buck.jpg]

Their latest.

[Sol.jpg]

Oh, man, I love Chutes. How can it be so good?

[Buck.jpg]

No, not Chutes. I mean their latest.

[Sol.jpg]

You mean…you mean the one that hasn’t come out yet? The one that’s scheduled to be released January 23, 2007?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah. That latest.

[Sol.jpg]

Sleep Lessons? You are listening to Sleep Lessons right now? But why…how…where’d you get it?

[Buck.jpg]

They actually decided to go with the title Wincing the Night Away.

[Sol.jpg]

Oh. How’d you get it?

[Buck.jpg]

Internet. It leaked a few days ago.

[Sol.jpg]

And you downloaded it? Isn’t that...?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, I know. I crossed the line.

[Sol.jpg]

Aren’t you worried something’s going to happen? You’re going to get caught? Can’t they trace your IP address and stuff?

[Buck.jpg]

I don’t know. I’m not worried.

[Sol.jpg]

But don’t you feel bad? I mean, file sharing is one thing but taking stuff that isn’t even supposed to come out for another fourth of a year is completely different.

[Buck.jpg]

Okay, Lars Ulrich.

[Sol.jpg]

I’m just saying I’d be worried. I wouldn’t even be able to listen to it for the guilt.

[Buck.jpg]

Good for you.

[Sol.jpg]

Well…uh…is it good?

[Buck.jpg]

Hmmm?

[Sol.jpg]

Is it good? Wincing the Night Away?

[Buck.jpg]

So now you’re Lars Ulrich and I’m Ryan Schreiber?

[Sol.jpg]

No, I’m just wondering, you know. I like The Shins, too. They changed my life.

[Buck.jpg]

Right. Uh, yeah, it’s good.

[Sol.jpg]

That’s it? “It’s good.” You can’t give me nothing else?

[Buck.jpg]

Hey, all you asked was if it is good. I really shouldn’t be talking about it, anyway. I should be focused on feeling bad about my actions, right?

[Sol.jpg]

Okay, okay. Just give me something to hold on to for three more months.

[Buck.jpg]

Fine. It’s either brilliant or it’s the work of a band who was in the studio for way too long.

[Sol.jpg]

What does that mean?

[Buck.jpg]

Just that.

[Sol.jpg]

So you don’t even know which one it is?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, I do. I know.