Monday, February 12, 2007

Hard of Hearts

[Sol.jpg]

I hate the phrase “heart of hearts.”

[Buck.jpg]

Why?

[Sol.jpg]

What does that even mean? “Heart of hearts”? I mean when you stop to think about it I can see it means “really down deep,” or whatever, but people use it all the time and I swear they do it just to sound smart, you know?

[Buck.jpg]

I don’t think I’ve heard it that often.

[Sol.jpg]

I have. And it always sounds odd. Wrong. Like people are trying to throw in a Latin phrase into their conversation or something.

[Buck.jpg]

Like “habeas corpus”?

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah, exactly. Or “a capite ad calcem.”

[Buck.jpg]

What’s that?

[Sol.jpg]

From head to heel.

[Buck.jpg]

Cool. What about “melius frangi quam flecti?

[Sol.jpg]

What’s that?

[Buck.jpg]

It is better to break than to bend.

[Sol.jpg]

Nice! How about “Est deus in nobis?

[Buck.jpg]

I don’t know that one.

[Sol.jpg]

There is a god inside us.

[Buck.jpg]

Cool. The last one I know is “Lupus est homo homini.”

[Sol.jpg]

I’ve never heard that one.

[Buck.jpg]

Man is wolf to man.

[Sol.jpg]

Whoa, that’s awesome!

[Buck.jpg]

You know any more?

[Sol.jpg]

Qvi nescit dissimlare nescit regnare.”

[Buck.jpg]

What’s that?

[Sol.jpg]

He who doesn’t know how to lie doesn’t know how to rule.

[Buck.jpg]

Interesting.

[Sol.jpg]

Last one: “Intelligenti pauca.”

[Buck.jpg]

Meaning?

[Sol.jpg]

Few words suffice for he who understands.

[Buck.jpg]

Huh.