Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Neutral Milk Hotel and Expectations

[Sol.jpg]

Neutral Milk Hotel.

[Chick.jpg]

What about them?

[Sol.jpg]

What do you think about them?

[Chick.jpg]

I think Mangum was blindsided by the success of Aeroplane. Now he’s Elvis.

[Sol.jpg]

Why Elvis?

[Chick.jpg]

Is he dead? Is he alive? “I think I saw him performing with Apples in Stereo three weeks ago,” etc.

[Sol.jpg]

Oh.

Which album do you like better?

[Chick.jpg]

Avery Island.

[Sol.jpg]

Really?

[Chick.jpg]

It's not that I dislike Aeroplane because I don't. It's great...amazing...whatever. I just think there's a lot more to Avery. It's loose; sloppy. And it has so much more melody.

[Sol.jpg]

Melody?

[Chick.jpg]

It’s so melodic! It’s just beautiful.

[Sol.jpg]

I can’t believe I’m hearing this!

[Chick.jpg]

What?

[Sol.jpg]

Someone liking Avery Island more than Aeroplane.

[Chick.jpg]

It’s no big deal.

[Sol.jpg]

I mean, I’ve heard about people like you, but I’ve never met one.

[Chick.jpg]

Why did you even ask me which album I liked better then?

[Sol.jpg]

I don’t know. It’s just something you do, you know? You say something without expecting to hear anything different than what you’re expecting.

[Chick.jpg]

So I threw you off?

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah you did.