Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Shins' Live Show May Seem Boring But It's Not...To Buck

[Buck.jpg]

I got my Shins tickets today!

[Sol.jpg]

When are they coming?

[Buck.jpg]

Next month.

[Sol.jpg]

Who are you going with?

[Buck.jpg]

My wife.

[Sol.jpg]

Really?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah.

[Sol.jpg]

I didn’t know she liked The Shins.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, she does. Well, I mean, of all the bands I listen to she likes The Shins probably more than the rest. She went with me last time they came through.

[Sol.jpg]

That’s pretty cool.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah. She’s a closet hipster.

[Sol.jpg]

Nice.

[Buck.jpg]

I’m so pumped for the show!

[Sol.jpg]

I like a good show, too, but aren’t The Shins…uh…kind of…

[Buck.jpg]

Boring?

[Sol.jpg]

Well, yeah. I’ve talked to people who’ve seen ’em and they haven’t been too pleased with the show.

[Buck.jpg]

I can see that. I wouldn’t say they’re the most, uh, dynamic performers but I don’t mind. I mean, I like to see guys rock the stage as much as anyone but I like The Shins’ style. I don’t mind watching guys stand in one place and play their instruments. I think that’s what I’d do if I was in a band. Not that I’d be a shoegazer, but you know. Anyway, when I go to a show I pretty much stand in one place and watch so I guess we’re a good match.

[Sol.jpg]

You don’t dance or anything?

[Buck.jpg]

Nope.

[Sol.jpg]

Run around?

[Buck.jpg]

No. No running.

[Sol.jpg]

Jumping?

[Buck.jpg]

Naw.

[Sol.jpg]

Moving around swiftly?

[Buck.jpg]

Not really. I mean if my legs or feet get tired I’ll shift my weight around or maybe walk a few steps between songs.

[Sol.jpg]

That’s it?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah.

[Sol.jpg]

How can you stand that, man? I gotta dance and jump around.

[Buck.jpg]

I just like to take it all in, you know? I can dance and jump around in my own house anytime I like. But I’m lucky if I get to see a band once in my life.

[Sol.jpg]

I don’t know. I can’t just sit there.

[Buck.jpg]

Well, that’s why I don’t mind The Shins’ show. Did you see them on SNL?

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah. I liked the songs but they did seem kind of boring.

[Buck.jpg]

No way, man. That thing the keyboardist did with the plastic pipe during “New Slang” was so cool.

[Sol.jpg]

When he swung that pipe around?

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah.

[Sol.jpg]

Boring.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah? Well, you’re boring.