Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's Hard When Things Don't Work Out

[Sol.jpg]

Have you heard of Andrew Bird?

[Chick.jpg]

No. Who is he?

[Sol.jpg]

A musician. Let me play you a song. I think you'll like it.

[Chick.jpg]

This is nice. What's it called?

[Sol.jpg]

"Sovay."

[Chick.jpg]

Really? Did you know there's a English folk song called "Sovay"?

[Sol.jpg]

No. I had no idea.

[Chick.jpg]

It's about a woman named Sovay who dresses like a criminal and pretends to rob her husband to see if he'll give up his wedding ring.

[Sol.jpg]

Does he?

[Chick.jpg]

Nope. He hands over everything else but says he'll die before giving up the ring.

[Sol.jpg]

I bet that makes her happy.

[Chick.jpg]

It does.

Have you been married before?

[Sol.jpg]

No. You?

[Chick.jpg]

Yes, actually. When I was 18 my boyfriend and I took off one weekend and got married in a small town on the other side of the state by a justice of the peace.

[Sol.jpg]

You eloped? You’re so wild!

[Chick.jpg]

Not really. It’s not a big deal.

[Sol.jpg]

"Not a big deal"? Whatever.

You’re not married anymore?

[Chick.jpg]

I wasn’t as fortunate as Sovay.

[Sol.jpg]

Sorry. It’s hard when things don’t work out.

[Chick.jpg]

This song is beautiful. It makes me feel like traveling back in time.

[Sol.jpg]

You can do that?

[Chick.jpg]

No. It just makes me feel like I could. Or wish I could.

[Sol.jpg]

It makes me feel like dancing.

[Chick.jpg]

Really? Do you dance?

[Sol.jpg]

No. But when I listen to this song I picture myself all decked out in black tails walzing with a beautiful woman in a white dress. We are in a really fancy ballroom with huge chandeliers and large windows and lots of food and candles on the tables.

[Chick.jpg]

Sounds nice.

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah. There's a fire in a fireplace at both ends of the room. And the parquet floor is magnificent.