Monday, December 04, 2006

Leave Me Alone and I'll Give

[Sol.jpg]

What’s wrong with you?

[Buck.jpg]

I hate pictures of cats.

[Sol.jpg]

What?

[Buck.jpg]

And rabbits. And horses. And butterflies.

[Sol.jpg]

Do you hate babies, too?

[Buck.jpg]

I hate pictures of babies. Especially when they’re dressed up like bumblebees or fruit in a cornucopia or something.

[Sol.jpg]

Isn’t that all a little heartless?

[Buck.jpg]

Not heartless. I don’t hate those things I just hate pictures of them. I hate people trying to make me think something is so cute and everything. I hate being manipulated into feeling something I’m not.

[Sol.jpg]

What about those “for a dollar a day you can support a child in Africa” commercials?

[Buck.jpg]

Sally Struthers?

[Sol.jpg]

Who?

[Buck.jpg]

Never mind.

[Sol.jpg]

What about the commercials?

[Buck.jpg]

I change the channel.

[Sol.jpg]

What about the Santa Clauses ringing bells in front of grocery stores at Christmas?

[Buck.jpg]

I ignore them.

[Sol.jpg]

What about the March of Dimes? Donate a dollar and get your name on a paper sneaker that they’ll hang on the wall of the store?

[Buck.jpg]

Nope. No dollar. No sneaker. No name on the wall.

[Sol.jpg]

Nice, Scrooge.

[Buck.jpg]

Not Scrooge. I just hate manipulation tactics.

[Sol.jpg]

So you’re saying if they’ll just leave you alone you’d be happy to give to their causes?

[Buck.jpg]

Just leave me alone and I’ll give.

[Sol.jpg]

Don’t you think they’re just trying to get their name out there? How will you know who to give to if they just leave you alone?

[Buck.jpg]

What, am I a complete idiot? I can’t look in the phone book? I can’t google “Red Cross”?

[Sol.jpg]

I don’t know. Maybe they think you live in a dark and empty house and only come out once a year and they’re just trying to get some love from you before you retreat back into your hole for another year.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, that’s likely.

[Sol.jpg]

I watched The Ice Harvest last night. Have you seen it?

[Buck.jpg]

No.

[Sol.jpg]

Do you watch dark comedies? Pulp? Noir?

[Buck.jpg]

No. Was it good?

[Sol.jpg]

I liked it. I’ve got a dark streak in me, though. Something about violence intrigues me. The ability to kill (without remorse) fascinates me. And John Cusack is always the man.

[Buck.jpg]

Are you violent?

[Sol.jpg]

Not at all. Never punched a guy in my life.

[Buck.jpg]

You only punch girls?

[Sol.jpg]

No!

[Buck.jpg]

So you’re into violence. Do you give to charities?

[Sol.jpg]

I try to.

[Buck.jpg]

Do you love pictures of dolphins and puppies?

[Sol.jpg]

I don’t hate them.

[Buck.jpg]

Good for you, St. Francis.