Monday, November 06, 2006

The Hussein Verdict Raises General Questions About the Death Penalty

[Sol.jpg]

What do you think about the verdict on Saddam Hussein?

[Buck.jpg]

I don’t know. I guess I’m glad the Iraqi people were able to complete the trial. That’s great for their country. I’m just not sure about the death penalty.

[Sol.jpg]

In general or in this instance?

[Buck.jpg]

In general.

[Sol.jpg]

You don’t believe in it?

[Buck.jpg]

Well, I just don’t believe it solves anything.

[Sol.jpg]

Doesn’t solve anything? He’s going to hang.

[Buck.jpg]

Maybe. Maybe not. Even if he does that lasts all of, what, three minutes and then he’s off the hook?

[Sol.jpg]

But he’s dead.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, but he’s off the hook.

[Sol.jpg]

What do you think would be better?

[Buck.jpg]

Hard labor. Physical work. Make Hussein and his cronies build streets in Iraq. Make them work in the oil fields putting out fires and stuff. Make them work in the sanitation department. Make them dig irrigation ditches. Give them jobs civilians don’t want.

[Sol.jpg]

What if they won’t work?

[Buck.jpg]

Take away their food and water.

[Sol.jpg]

What if that doesn’t phase them?

[Buck.jpg]

If they choose to end their lives on a hunger strike or whatever then that’s their choice. But let them make it.

[Sol.jpg]

I’ve always thought people are against the death penalty because of religious beliefs or a belief in the right to live. But it kind of seems like you’re saying you want them to be alive to suffer.

[Buck.jpg]

Well, not suffer but work, yeah. I think people who break the law get off too easily. Sitting in prison, lifting weights and watching tv. They should have to work. They should have to work very hard and very long.

[Sol.jpg]

What if they can’t physically work? I mean Hussein is pretty old.

[Buck.jpg]

Everyone can do something. Put him in a chair and make him fill holes in walls with mortar.

[Sol.jpg]

You should run for office.

[Buck.jpg]

No, I shouldn’t.

[Sol.jpg]

Why?

[Buck.jpg]

Just because I have an opinion doesn't make me an authority.

[Sol.jpg]

A lot of people think opinions make them the authority.

[Buck.jpg]

Yeah, well, there you go.

I assume you agree with the death penalty?

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah, I’ve always been in favor of it. Death is the greatest punishment. I believe if you take a life you should pay with yours. I believe it restores balance.

[Buck.jpg]

I understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s interesting that we say death is the greatest punishment when we don’t even know what death is, you know? I mean, what if it’s Disneyland on the other side? Disneyland with no lines? What if it’s Yosemite National Park? (With no lines.) What if it’s peace? What if it’s bliss? I mean basically we’re threatening people with fear of the unknown. I guess that’s why I don’t buy into it. It’s not hard to face death if your life is so messed up anyway. If you don’t respect life then what’s so frightening about death?

[Sol.jpg]

But the criminals are gone for good. They won’t have a chance to hurt any more people. They won’t get a chance to repeat their crimes. The people whose lives that person ruined can gain closure. I mean, you’re right, we don’t know exactly where they’ve gone. But I believe—and I think most people do, too—that they go to God or some higher power who will deal with them in an eternal way. We’re free of their terrible actions and we won’t have to use tax dollars to keep them alive in prison for the rest of their lives.

[Buck.jpg]

I think it’s insulting to say the death of a criminal makes up for the death of a loved one.

[Sol.jpg]

It’s justice.


~~~~~

Three minutes pass in silence.

~~~~~


[Buck.jpg]

It’s easy for me to sit here and say I don’t believe in the death penalty but the truth is I’ve never had to be in the position of dealing with this first hand. So, I really don’t know how I’d feel if I was sitting in the chair in the courtroom when the verdict was announced. Maybe I’d want the person dead. Maybe that’s what I’d fight for.

[Sol.jpg]

Yeah, I’ve never been there either. But, hopefully we set up good policies so that when we're put in those positions we don't act out of haste and emotion.

[Buck.jpg]

Hopefully.